REDUCED-Organic Chocolate Farm Winner of 2015 Heirloom Cacao Initiative
Property reference: 719 SVF
88 Acres, San Vito
In January of 2015, This Chocolate Farm won the coveted Heirloom Cacao Initiative. This prize designates cacao plantations with exceptional trees and beans endowed with a combination of historic, cultural, botanical, geographical, and most importantly flavor value.
Click here to see Terciopelo Farm Coto Brus, San Vito
Perhaps just as important, this Heirloom designation allows the Chocolate Farm (Terciopelo Farm) to market its beans to the best chocolate makers in America. Export beans can command up to four times the price of the local Costa Rican market. Of course, the quality of the beans must be maintained at a high level to engage in export and this is not easy.
Last year the Farm Produced 5.5 Tons (907.18 kgs per Ton) of Cacao Beans. Export price was $7.70 per kilo. This year the price will be between $8.00 - $10.00 per kilo. This year they expect to harvest and sell 6 Tons.
This Unique farm is located about 10 kilometers (6 miles) from the center of San Vito, then turning off the main highway another 6 kilometers (3 ¾miles) down into a very large valley. The Valley is incredible; there must be at least a 20 mile radial view in every direction.
Costa Rica is just so beautiful, views include stunning scenery with mountains in the distance, exquisite cloud formations, distant patchwork-quilt farms dot the countryside accented with grazing animals. This is an awesome place to be and some of the finest country around. We believe the sun shines more in this valley than other mountainous areas nearby, perhaps its because the larger mountain range is so far into the distance, this particular area is not affected by micro climates like other areas.
This is a great place to live, life can be so simple, clean air, good water from fresh springs combined with Super Sunshine, the crops and animals flourish.
The Altitude is about 1650 feet above sea level, perfect for any type of farming; everything grows here, Fruit and Vegetables, root crops, herbs and spices etc. Strange to see Pine Trees and Bananas together.
San Vito and the surrounding area has been known as a Coffee Producing Region. This particular farm has 15 acres of producing Organic Cacao. Another 500 Cacao trees were planted three years ago and are now producing. This year (2015) an additional 1,500 trees were planted. There has also been an ongoing program here to graft high producing, disease resistant, good tasting clones onto existing trees. We are expecting great results.
Aside from the Cacao there are nearly 20 Acres of rolling pastures for horses or grazing animals, or the pastures could be reforested with a combination of Native Hardwood Trees or creating a Food Forest! Also included, about 15 Acres of Old Growth or Virgin forest, including some of the Largest Trees seen in years, this old growth is actually set in an Oasis (surrounded by pastures), much of the surrounding farms in this area had been settled as well as deforested years ago, to be used for Coffee Plantations or Cattle. This farm has some of the largest and most precious trees we’ve seen in this highland area.
Electricity is provided by Solar panels and an older hydro system installed from the previous owner which, may in fact, need updating, but the solar panels (2kw system) are maintenance free.
There is also a small pond where Tilapia could be raised for added sustainability.
A concrete country house had 3 bedrooms including a new bathroom and shower with septic tank but all the interior walls have been removed due to termite damage, so as of now there is an open floor plan and currently used for Cacao storage. The cement floor and walls are still in decent condition, new interior walls and a ceiling could be installed and the house would once again be useable.
The country Kitchen is separate from the main house, a standard for country living of years ago when they cooked with wood, thus keeping the cooking and smoke away from the sleeping areas, and fires too!. This kitchen as of 2013 is no longer being used as a kitchen the termites had other plans, instead it's a simple open area with a roof used for keeping odds and ends out of the rain.
Two structures were built 5 years ago, one being used as a Yoga Studio and the other as a separate living quarters and cabin, both situated on a hill with a gorgeous view of the distant Talamanca Mountains and the Amistad National Park. A very popular river Rio Coto lies about 10 minutes away by foot. Also used to Kayak or Rafting.
Here is a current list of features offered:
• 15 Acres of Mature producing Organic Cacao, 3 years ago an additional 500 trees were planted, the largest operation in this area plus another 1,500 this year.
• Exotic Fruit trees including Durian, Cinnamon, Sancoya, jaboticaba, miracle fruit, pitanga, moringa and neem.
• Orange grove, producing and mature.
• One acre of Sugarcane including a Trapiche, which is a manual press, used to extract the natural juice out of the cane.
• One acre of Organic Coffee
• Pineapples (over one hundred)
• Bananas ………many.
• Hundred’s of trees planted over 8 years ago (a variety of good lumber trees including teak, Melina and Amarillon
• Bamboo Plantation.
• 15 Acres of real Primary Forest, with an easy walking trail.
• Medicinal and Ornamental Plants of all type.
• New Cabin and Yoga Studio.
• Original Farmhouse with remodeled bathroom.
• Chocolate-making equipment, including lessons in how to produce your own. (if needed).
• Old barn which has been used as living quarters and a community center, now in need of remodeling due to termites.
• Solar and Hydro System.
• Totally off-grid, remote but with good dirt road access (4x4 only) , remote but not deserted.
• Nearby River including swimmin’ holes only a half hour by foot or horse. (River Rio Coto)
• A great team of local labor that knows the farm and are trustworthy.
• No Theft! ………yes that’s right, previous owners have had minimal problems in the 9 years of ownership. And if you know Costa Rica, you know that is worth its weight in gold!
This is a place where it feels as though time has stopped, there are few cars and people get around on horseback, foot or motorcycle. The views are awesome!
Land and farms,Off-Grid
Size: 88 Acres
Cacao Farm For Sale San Vito C.R.
Owner and Volunteers
A Happy Day at the Chocolate Factory
Organic Chocolate Bars San Vito
Large Growth in Primary Forest
Yoga Studio For Sale San Vito
Private Yoga Studio
Chocolate Beans Drying